Skip to main content

Life gets dull, get creating

I don't know when I started looking for home-made or hand-made soaps but I think it has something to do with the time when I was looking at the sheer the number of empty but still-usable pump bottles of shampoos and shower creams that were emptied out.

I felt like...damn, that's a waste. It's gonna end up in the ocean. In some whale's stomach.

So, I try recycling them and stuff which is something each and everyone should do anyway, right? Let's all try and make an effort. Bottom level.

Anyway, I got interested in buying home-made soaps and looked at some videos and reading stuff that I can get my laptop and phone on and decided to go for a class.

The class ain't cheap. But OK, it's an investment of sorts. For the family. For me and my kids.

The class was really eye-opening. Never knew that you had to deal with such corrosive stuff when dealing with soap. My class was for Cold Press soap-making process. We had to deal with NoAH (Lye) which is super alkaline. I thought acid was bad, alkaline was good.

Thought shattered.

Another thing that really opened my eye? THE. MATH. THE MATH.

I am a writer. A words person. Words, stories and poetry keeps me captivated.

Numbers zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

But the amazing thing is that I kept up. I came home, I did my own calculations (although there is a website, as I have discovered, that does the whole thing for you) and I managed to kill the thing. Kill the whole calculation process.

It depends on what you want your soap to be like, you see. If you want to soften your skin, to clean your clothes, to clear out acne, to have therapeutic effect or to just clean your dirty self...it all boils down to the kind of oils you want to use.

And the amount of corrosive stuff.

And the amount of liquid/milk/super fat/whateverYOLO

Anyway, it was really fun at the workshop. I guess I did it because it is a kind of outlet that I can find during a really dead-end day.

This was fun.

Here's my soap. It looks like cake, it's not. I need to wait 4-6 weeks before I can use it.


Love,
Marsha

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stargazer - Stretch Those Sides

I have been doing this pose, part of Cosmic Dance (a type of yoga, I am assuming), called Stargazer pose without knowing it is called Stargazer's pose a lot in the past. You see, sometimes, I don't follow the rules and come up with my own stretches and poses. It is fun. I have on some music, nice, soothing music or just anything I can click on. Then I go with the flow, letting my hair down. Just moving to the music...and that is when I come up with the above Stargazer's pose. This pose really stretches your sides. Keep your eyes on the outstretched hand if you are keeping it pointed to the top, as if you are waving or connecting to a higher energy from the Universe. Your arms will ache a little but hey, toned arms, here you come! :-) For those who want a bigger stretch, it is safe to slowly and gently move the lifted hand towards your back...don't overdo it, listen to your body's complaints and respect it. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, reme

Maid Side-Kick

I was kind of a little sad when I read the news about this - there will be no live-in Indonesian maids in Malaysia anymore . There are pros and cons to having a live-in maid, as with everything else, but for us, we enjoyed more pros than cons. Back then, when my kids were little, we brought in a family of maids to help with...well, just about everything, and we were like two families merged into one. They ate what we ate, we sleep, they sleep, we shop, they shop, they joke, we laugh, we joke, they laugh...for me, the maid I hired was more like a sister and side-kick to me. For that few years, I was dependent on her to mind-read my schedule and when I need or don't need help. She picked things up quickly and we ended up having lots of moments whereby we were in sync. Today, two of them are on my Facebook and we were gleefully chatting over Facebook Messenger since they've just discovered the wonders of the Internet and Social Media. Since we were more like partners in crim

Project Wolf Hunting (2022) - Film Review

Less than 10 minutes into the movie, I was already wondering why am I watching this show, and in the dead of the night.  But I was thinking to myself, I've toughened up quite a bit when it comes to things like these... Happiness , Signal , Sweet Home , Alice in Borderland , Vagabond , City Hunter , Tunnel ...these crime and sci-fi dramas and films I endured just so that I can watch my favorite actors in action...they must have really built me some mental muscles.  Usually, I am the late kind because I want to see what everyone has to say about it...so that I am prepared.  I will just present you with reasons to watch and reasons NOT to. Here goes.  REASONS TO WATCH If you like Seo In Guk , Jung So Min , Jang Dong Yoon , Sung Dong Il , or maybe even Im Ju Hwan , you might want to endure this film.  Hint : If you're a fan of Jang Dong Yoon, maybe watch it.  It's interesting. I know we have a lot of post apocalyptic world films all over the place now but this is a little diffe