Skip to main content

Based on My 14 Years of Working from Home...

Work hard and work smart, that's the only way you can survive working from home.

Some would say that the above statement says it all...but it is barely scraping the surface of what really 'working from home' really is all about. TIME magazine wrote an article about 10 things to remember if/when working from home and do you know I almost gave myself a whiplash while reading it?

Here's the article - 10 Essential Habits for Working at Home

Working from home or at home is, honestly speaking, a luxury. You don't have to contend with so many things that people in the corporate world have to deal with. However, even with that said, it can become a trap. One day, you might find yourself confused with a boundariless world where it is a mish-mash of 'work is everything' and 'home is everything'. You walk into the kitchen, you find yourself wondering, 'So, am I still working now or am I officially off work?'

(Image source: SXC.hu)

1. Designated work area

I don't think it is all that important to have a 'home office', so to speak, because not everyone can afford a huge home with extra bedrooms.

I think it is more of a concept of NOT working somewhere you are comfortable with. Example? Bedroom. I never work in my bedroom. NEVER. Per chance I 'chance upon' an email that needs my IMMEDIATE attention, I will walk out of the bedroom, settle down on my table right outside my bedroom and do the minor work there.

I close all browsers (how anal am I about this? I use Firefox for personal use and Chrome for work - the line is drawn. I don't mix them up. I protect this right with my life), walk back into my bedroom and sleep. Or watch some fun videos.

So, if you do not have the luxury of having an extra bedroom or a table large enough to fit into a small apartment, reverse the rule by deciding on ONE space you promise not to work from. That's your ZEN ZONE, baybae. Protect it.

2. Dress for the job

It's true. Don't work in your pajamas. It's all a lie about walking around in your house, dressed in your comfy PJs and bunny slippers. Don't go there if you are working from home long term.

You are going to face the dreaded 'Am I still working now or am I off work?' Over the years, I have written about how I wish there was an office that I could actually LEAVE.

I work in my jeans and 'outside' clothes all the time and as long as I am working, I will not change back into my 'home clothes'. That is why some friends or neighbors visit me and wonder how come I am all dressed up 'uncomfortably' when I am working from home during week days.

I don't need makeup so, I don't if I am not going out but I make sure to remind myself with the clothes that I am wearing that I am working. Seriously, try this. Once the 'work day is over', change into your bunny slippers and fly into your bed....THAT is when you are off work.

(Image source: IStockPhoto)

3. Set hours and stick to them?

It is really easier said than done but...nevertheless....stick to it. Unless you imagine that there is overtime or that you are going to stay in the 'office' (mode) because something critically urgent has cropped up.

There is a lot of imagining to be done when you want to work from home long term.

4. Take breaks

I can't even begin to tell you how important this is. Take. Breaks. I work in rapid bursts of speed, actually. In the beginning, I thought that it was working just great when I work from 9-1 and then 3-6. During those moments, I would be completely stationery, motionless, completely focused, robotic and unbending when it comes to other things.

Nu-uh.

Not sure if it will work for everyone too but I set a timer. (whisper: actually, I set a timer for almost everything. From meditation to boiling water to working that stationery bike...so yeah....) I work for 15 minutes and then get up to work on kitchen stuff or to read from something that doesn't have a light shining into my face. OK, fine, those short breaks is when you will find me on G+ or Twitter too.

But you get it. Take breaks.

5. No interaction unless it is SOS level of urgency

And finally, this. My kids know not to mess with me when I have that 'I am working and if I stop now and find out that you interrupted me for something that could've waited for another 5 minutes, things are going to be ugly' face.

The point is to actually let them know that you will get back to them AND ACTUALLY GET BACK TO THEM. So, if my son is lingering around me, waiting to pounce at me with one of his magnanimously urgent need to buy something with my card on his computer, I tell him to wait a bit more and he does.

You'll just have to work your stuff with younger kids, they are tougher. I guess it is a matter of helping them understand what is the right time to approach you and when you make a promise, keep it.

Sunday over, back to work tomorrow...

Hope you had a great weekend,
Love,
Marsha

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stargazer - Stretch Those Sides

I have been doing this pose, part of Cosmic Dance (a type of yoga, I am assuming), called Stargazer pose without knowing it is called Stargazer's pose a lot in the past. You see, sometimes, I don't follow the rules and come up with my own stretches and poses. It is fun. I have on some music, nice, soothing music or just anything I can click on. Then I go with the flow, letting my hair down. Just moving to the music...and that is when I come up with the above Stargazer's pose. This pose really stretches your sides. Keep your eyes on the outstretched hand if you are keeping it pointed to the top, as if you are waving or connecting to a higher energy from the Universe. Your arms will ache a little but hey, toned arms, here you come! :-) For those who want a bigger stretch, it is safe to slowly and gently move the lifted hand towards your back...don't overdo it, listen to your body's complaints and respect it. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, reme

Maid Side-Kick

I was kind of a little sad when I read the news about this - there will be no live-in Indonesian maids in Malaysia anymore . There are pros and cons to having a live-in maid, as with everything else, but for us, we enjoyed more pros than cons. Back then, when my kids were little, we brought in a family of maids to help with...well, just about everything, and we were like two families merged into one. They ate what we ate, we sleep, they sleep, we shop, they shop, they joke, we laugh, we joke, they laugh...for me, the maid I hired was more like a sister and side-kick to me. For that few years, I was dependent on her to mind-read my schedule and when I need or don't need help. She picked things up quickly and we ended up having lots of moments whereby we were in sync. Today, two of them are on my Facebook and we were gleefully chatting over Facebook Messenger since they've just discovered the wonders of the Internet and Social Media. Since we were more like partners in crim

Project Wolf Hunting (2022) - Film Review

Less than 10 minutes into the movie, I was already wondering why am I watching this show, and in the dead of the night.  But I was thinking to myself, I've toughened up quite a bit when it comes to things like these... Happiness , Signal , Sweet Home , Alice in Borderland , Vagabond , City Hunter , Tunnel ...these crime and sci-fi dramas and films I endured just so that I can watch my favorite actors in action...they must have really built me some mental muscles.  Usually, I am the late kind because I want to see what everyone has to say about it...so that I am prepared.  I will just present you with reasons to watch and reasons NOT to. Here goes.  REASONS TO WATCH If you like Seo In Guk , Jung So Min , Jang Dong Yoon , Sung Dong Il , or maybe even Im Ju Hwan , you might want to endure this film.  Hint : If you're a fan of Jang Dong Yoon, maybe watch it.  It's interesting. I know we have a lot of post apocalyptic world films all over the place now but this is a little diffe